For our family the kitchen is were I spend a lot of my time. It's one of my favorite places in the house. What I see for our "table for 8" family is many memories being made there. I'm very big on meals at home. I think our world has gotten so busy and have lost this special place in there home. Yes I know as the kids get older our lives will get busier but I can say that the Lord has laid on our hearts to not be that family were each kid is in 3-4 sports or extra activities a year. (not judging other families just saying it's not what we want for our family) There is no denying the fact that we will have 6 kids running around our house and even if each kid did 1 to 2 sports a year that's 6-12 practices or games at a time. It's just not possible. I'm not saying we will not let them do extra things but for each child its something we will have to seek the Lord on.
With that being said our family dinners are sacred to me and I want them to always be important to each and every person in our house. I want it to be a time we come together as a family and talk about our highs and lows of the day. A time we work through struggles and hardships, a time we laugh and cry together. A time where memories are made!!!
Right now dinner time isn't always my favorite time of the day. I'm exhausted for the day at home with the kids and ready for 7:00 bed time to get here. I know it's a time we will working hard to train each kid. A time where Jeff and I just want to talk but can't because the kids want's his attention just as much as I do. "No toys at the table, sit in you chair the right way, keep all four legs on the floor, no you can't get up until everyone is done, yes you have to eat that, please just try it, I know you will like it, stop playing with your food, mind your manors at the table please, be thankful for what mommy has made," all of these rules we are working so hard to ingrain in our children's mind so maybe just one day dinner will be a peaceful time. Lets just face it we have a 1,3,4 and 6 year old at the table, it's not that peaceful. But I believe over time as we train them they will be very peaceful and very enjoyable I see that all my hard work of planning each months menu and hours spent in the kitchen will be very rewarding. I just know it, that time will come but it will not come with out work! Children don't just start respecting there parents over night it's something they have to be taught. So I'm willing to work and work and train and train these wonderful children of mine so memories can be made at the kitchen table!!!
And that is why I'm so passionate about getting Parker on track with being able to sit down and eat a normal meal and not cause so much distraction. He will have 4 little siblings that will think he hung the moon and will be watching his every step!
I encourage you do everything with a purpose behind it. Seek the Lord in everything you and he will guide your ways! Every choice you make will effect your life, don't take the easy way out, work for what you believe in. Like I always tell my kids, is that a good choice or a bad choice. I have to ask myself that very question everyday. Good choice or bad choice, Amanda?
No comments:
Post a Comment