So now we focus on his weight, he isn't really concerned but does wants to keep an eye on his weight gain. I talked to him about what I've been doing since my laxation visit on Friday. Feeding more frequently, pumping after each feeding, and waking him up two times in the middle of the night! One comment I loved that came out of his mouth, "why wake a sleeping baby"? I told him that I did have some concern that he was only taking in 2.5oz each time he ate. The only two times I've tested it was at test feeding on Friday and Jeff gave him a bottle on Sunday or should I say he tried to give him a bottle. He wasn't alarmed!!! He did suggest that If I'm producing more than he is taking in we need to find a way to get that good hind milk (the last part of your breast milk) in him. I can do 2 things.... pump off the fore-milk (first part of breast milk) then nurse him, pump and just give him bottles. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do.
Something that we have to remember is he has had a really rough week, first he got sick and had a cold and then got a bunch of test done one of which he had to be put under for. All of which can decrease his appetite!
I go in for a weigh in on Friday morning! And I'm sure I will have many more weigh-ins in the near future!!! And if he notices that he just isn't gaining weight then we will look closer at that issue but right now he wants me to go back to normal and NOT WORRY!!!!!!!!!!
I did ask him about a heart problem since I had a lot of people tell me stories on which not gaining weight properly linked to heart problems. He said he really didn't think it was that. Reed has really has only had ONE BIG dip on his growth curve and if it was a heart problem then we would have noticed big dips at the beginning. And he reassured me that everything else is growing his head and height are right one track with his growth curve!
So what is my plan? Good question!!!! I really can't answer that right now. I can say I will not set my alarm for 1am and 4am anymore and I will also say I will not be feeding the boy every 2-3 hours. I will let Reed tell me when he is hungry!!! I will no longer be waking up the boy from naps to eat!!! Not sure about the whole pump thing.
4 comments:
What GREAT news!!! Relief!:) I keep praying for you all!:) He will out grow the breath holding/passing out spells....one of my sons did that several times when he was younger--the first time was on Valentine's Day while my husband was out of town. It scared the CRAP out of them and I was sitting on the kitchen floor with my gray faced son while my other 3 stood there watching. I got him breathing again after what seemed an eternity and had to call my parents away from their romantic date to watch the others while I took Baron to the ER. After all that they doc said...yah....some kids just do that. Next time when he gets upset and you think it might happen just blow air in his mouth. It did the trick the next time. He hasn't done it in almost 2 yrs now so....thank God:)
Praying for you:)
jenny b
I am so glad all of the tests came back normal. I know Kenan didn't have the weight issues Reed does, but I don't know if you remember when he got an EEG because I thought he was having seizures when he nursed. The doctor didn't necessarily think they were seizures, but wasn't for sure so he ordered an EEG. Everything came back normal and he said Kenan just had some sort of infant spasm that had a name and that he would grouw out of it. I don't think he had another after that, but they sure were scary when he did. I will keep praying that Reed can gain weight and that this really is no big thing. Would hate for him to have to do any other testing.
Jess
Amanda and Jeff, it was so good to click on your blog and see Reed’s smile. I know I should be laughing but I am crying with tears of joy. There is no doubt that GOD has been with him all this time. I have never prayed so hard in my life. I love you so much, Amanda. I know it had to be tough for you and Jeff. I wish I could have been there. You know me and you know sending me videos or a photo of the kids always helps. I was almost too scared to click on the blog this time, but I was glad I did and I got a big surprise. Jeff and Reed look really good together. He looks just like Jeff too. That sandwich looks as big as Reed. LOL Again, thank you so much for keeping us updated. I miss and love you all. Thank you GOD for watching over little Reed. Papa Ruffert.
YEA!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment