Friday, January 28, 2011

Seymore Boot Camp

Jan 17th was the start of a crazy week. I decided to call it our boot camp week. We went back on the dinner for breakfast rule, potty trained Cooper, started working with Avin more on his feet (he walks on his tippy toes) and for some odd reason Reed decided he didn't want to breastfeed anymore! Well I can say at the beginning of the week I almost threw the towel in and said forget this! But on Friday we had a day full of victories!!!

Parker's Food
You might remember back in Oct we started a new rule with the kids. If they didn't eat dinner you got it for breakfast and if you didn't eat if for bfast you got it for lunch! Well we stuck with it for about a month then the holidays hit, then vacation, then more holidays, then I left for my trip to Disney world. So we took a couple months off from that rule and went back to if you don't eat dinner you don't get anything else until morning! Parker is doing so much better. It usually takes him 2 days without eating but on that 3rd day he tries something new!!!! So our plan is to stick to this rule!!!!! It's so much easier now because he like more things and I don't have to fear that he will go 5 days with no food!!! It's been 2 weeks and he had tried 3 new dinners! WHICH IS AMAZING AND SO ENCOURAGING!!!!!


Reed decides to bite and refuse to breastfeed
Just to make my week even harder Reed decides he doesn't want to breastfeed anymore. He decides he wasn't to use me a teething toy instead!! So here's what happened. Tuesday morning he ate just fine at his 8:00 feeding. Then at his 12:00 feeding he acted like he had no clue how to breastfeed. All he would do is open and bite, over and over again, there was no sucking at all. He showed no intrest in feeding. I ended up trying all day to feed him off and on, ended up putting him down for 2 naps with no milk in his belly! By the end of the day I was in so much pain with bleedy nipples (sorry TMI) and a day full of tears!!! My last try was at 9:00 at night I woke him up to try one more time and nope he just kept biting. So at the point we warmed him up a bottle of frozen breast milk and I pumped. All I could do is just sit there and cry. All the emotions I was feeling was so overwhelming. Didn't help that is was day 2 of potty training with Cooper! The thought that I will may never breastfeed a child again was so much for me to take in! Yes I know there will come a time when I will have to say good bye to having babies but I planned on nursing him until May which is when he turns one!

So I decided the next day I would just pump all day and feed him bottles so I could recover from all the pain. Wednesday and Thursday I did just that! I set a timer for every 2 hours and pumped for 20 mins each time. My fear was that my supply would go down! So I pumped like it was my job! I did try to feed him again Thursday morning and I wasn't successful.

Thursday night Jeff got out in the snow and went to target to get me a nipple shield. I thought I would try one more time Friday morning. My thinking was it wouldn't hurt as bad with the shield on. So Friday morning we tried it and at first i was so mad I almost just put Reed down so I could leave the room and scream. He just kept bitting and it still hurt. The pain was manageable so with the shield on I was able to pinch his cheeks and tell him no every time he bit. It took a while but he finally started sucking and I took off the shield and he did fine! His 2nd feeding of the day was an hour of telling him no trying again, putting him down for 10 mins to cry then trying again over and over again. Finally after an hour he got it. Then his 3rd and 4th feeding I didn't use the shield at all and he did just fine!

So I'm excited to say he is doing great!!!! I'm not for sure what caused it. Some might say it was because I left him the week prior and he had nipple confusion, other say it could be inducing foods or it could be teething!! All I know is he is nursing just fine now and I can start to prepare myself for weaning her in the next few months!!!

Below is a picture of what are week looked like at home. Parker siting on the couch with no food in his belly which made him super tired, Cooper running around with no pants on helping mommy feed Reed, towels covering the rug in the living room just incase Coop had an accident, the pump in the corner, the potty chair in the living room because were ever Coop was the potty chair followed!!





YEAH, COOPER IS POTTY TRAINED!!!!! Cooper was 2 years and 3 months old on day one of her potty training week! Day 1 and 2 was a little difficult, but day 3 IT CLICKED FOR HER!!!! We spent the entire week at home letting her run around with no pants on day 1 and 2 then big girl underwear day 3-5! Day 1-2 we sit a timer every 15-20 mins and when the timer went off she had to sit on the potty! Day 3 that morning she had her last accident. When she peed in her underwear she got a spanken and got put in time out! After that is when it clicked for her and she hasn't had an accident since! We even when to donut bank for breakfast and Los bravos for dinner on Saturday and she did AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Don't forget this was our second round of potty training. We tried back in August with no luck!

So proud of my little girl!!!!!






No comments: