Friday, June 17, 2011

Cooper got her own room


Coop moved into her very own room. Doesn't seem far does it boys? The plan was to move Cooper out of Avin and Parker's room and Reed into the boys room in October when Coop turned 3 but we were forced to do it sooner.

Coop decided she didn't want her paci anymore (which she was only allowed to have in her bed, yeah yeah I know the girl is 2.5 yrs old, she doesn't need it) but that meant she didn't have a way to sooth herself to sleep anymore. So she went a 2 FULL weeks where she cried over 2 hours at bed times, EVERY NIGHT. She didn't take a nap for over 2 weeks either, just cried and cried at bed time! She also started acting out.... doing sign language instead of talking (like Reed) wanting me to feed her at the dinner table, every time I would correct the boys on sucking their thumb she would but her thumb in her mouth, even laid down a couple times for me to put her underwear on. REALLY come on!!!!! This girl was CRYING, NO SCREAMING for attention.

At first I was so upset with her, why is she acting like this. Then I realized I needed to check myself. Am I not giving her the attention she needs? I did just get back from my cruise so maybe she was acting out because I left her for 5 days? I prayed and prayed over her asking for clarity. My sweet little girl is totally acting out and I didn't like it at all.

So we made some changes.. moved her into her own room with a big girl bed! Took a tip from super nanny and laid by her bed for 2 nights, set by her bed for 2 nights, set in a chair for 2 nights now the door is cracked open until she falls a sleep. She did great with the transition.

I also realized how selfish I've been lately not giving the kids the attention they needed from me. I cut my gym time "me time" in half and started focusing less on a clean house. Really the floors don't need to be cleaned every single day!! The Lord has really been working on my heart lately. I really do feel that Cooper was acting out because she wasn't getting the attention she needed from her mommy! So instead of blaming it on something else I made made some heart changes!!! This is really hard for me to write but it's the truth. Would days go by that I didn't REALLY i mean REALLY look in her sweet little eyes and let her know how important she was to me? I knew I always told her but actions speak louder than words. So many times I get caught up into my "to do list" that they become a part of my to do list! So many times I say just one second or when mommy's done with this. What I've realized is 15 years from now when she is turning 18 planning for college. She isn't going to remember the clean house or hours her mom spent at the gym. But she will remember the times where her mommy made her feel important in the craziness of her three brothers. I HAVE 4 YOUNG KIDS AND I CAN'T TAKE THIS LIGHTLY!!!!!

Whether you are a mommy of one or 12, I believe you have one of the hardest jobs in the world. Don't loose sight at the big picture. In 15-18 years from now they will be all grown up and not need you to do every little thing for them. Take each day at a time and focus on the things that matter!!!!

2 comments:

Mama J said...

great post! Coop looks so cute in her big girl bed!

Anonymous said...

Little Cooper has her own room now, wow she is a BIG Girl now. I hope you like it Coop. I know you will when you get older. I love you very much. Papa Ruffert