Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Homemade Bread


About 2 years ago I started making my own bread and milling my own flour. There are many benefits from making your own bread. First off, it's WAY cheaper. I was spending $4 a loaf on 100% whole wheat bread. Now I'm spending maybe 30 cents. Second, I know exactly what's going it in and I know it's 100% organic!!! When I starting making my own bread I was buying whole wheat flour, then a friend of mine told me about grinding your own wheat berries. I had never heard anything like that before. I was so excited to learn more about it. The more I researched it, I became aware of the health benefits to grinding your own flour. When I started making our bread about 3 years ago I would by store bought flour, which was better cheaper than buying the store bread, but I had to use 3/4 whole wheat then 1/4 white, just to make it taste o.k. Now when I use the fresh whole wheat flour I use 100% whole wheat and it taste better than ever.

We bought our mill about 2 years ago and it was the best investment yet!!! I make 2, sometimes 3 loafs a week! I also make our own hamburger and hot dog buns, rolls and french bread!



Here is the steps I take to make our bread.


Wheat Berries
(this is hard white wheat)

This is the Wonder Mill


Put the wheat berries into mill. This is the process that makes the flour.
Takes just about 30 secs.

Here is the flour


I use my bread maker to mix my dough. Use the dough setting. It takes 90 mins to mix and rise

Here is the dough after it's first rise.

Shape it into a loaf, I use flour to help with the stickiness

Then put it in loaf pan to rise for another hour. I put mine in the microwave(don't turn it on, just set it in there) You could put a towel over it instead.

Here is the dough ready to go in the oven.
25 mins at 350

Yeah it's done! Looks great!

Let it cool off for at least 15 mins.

YUM!!!!



Recipe for my loaf bread
1 1/4 cup of warm water
1 1/4 tsp of yeast
1 tsp of salt
2 tbs of honey
1 egg (let it sit in warm water for a few mins)
2 tbs of olive oil
3 1/4 cups of fresh wheat

Bake for 25 mins at 350


2 comments:

Ryan Chupp said...

That's awesome. Beth has been wondering about this for awhile now. Thanks Granola Mom!

Mary said...

Hooray for grinding wheat!