Saturday, December 3, 2011

Amanda's thoughts on the trip

We are on our 12 hr trip home. Another Seymore vacation has come and gone, and I will say even though I was very uncomfortable at times and unable to enjoy all the wonderful food Kiawah had to offer I still can say this has been my favorite trip we've taken as a family. I hope every year the trips keep getting better and better and every new year is a new favorite! Going into this week I was a little nervous. We loved our trip to Sandestin last year and didn't think we would ever be able to top off that trip. I am so thankful we were able to bring my sister along with us. She truly loves our kids like they are her own and the kids think the world of her. It was also nice to have an extra set of hands and eyes to help with the kids and to enjoy a date night at a not so kid friendly restaurant. I also truly enjoyed her company. I am so thankful for my sister!!
I have so many favorites and highs of the trip but to name a few. The 8 mile bike ride to the village, my quiet time every morning, watching the kids run around the Christmas tree every day at the village, the beach time, seeing Angel Oaks, reading Jeff's thoughts about the previous day and lunch at Ladles. I don't really have any low's of the trip other the the times we pushed the kids too far and they had melt down which was manly Cooper.

If I had to do the trip all over, which we will do next year I wouldn't change anything. The only thing I look forward to next year is being able to run the road and trails of the island and eating more than a salad with chicken. Next year will have its own challenges because we will have two more small people with us and more than likely no help! But you all know I love a good challenge. Things will be different when the twins arrive but we will not let that stop us from taking the kids on vacation and doing things that we love. We will just do things different. My guess is we will eat at the condo a lot more and it will take us a lot longer getting ready. Taking 4 kids on vacation is crazy but I feel that we do a good job at allowing them to still experience things so adding 2 more will just add to the craziness.

I loved that we kept busy but not too busy. I felt that we had enough down time and went at a great pace. I was able to enjoy each step in the day and take in all the wonderful surrounding that Kiawah has to offer. I caught myself many times, in a day dream. I was able to count all the blessing that the Lord has given us. On one of our bike rides I was talking to Avin about how this trip is a blessing from the Lord and he asked if we could stop and pray together and thank Him for daddy's work that allows us to stay here! That was defiantly a high of the week. Last year we took our first family vacation and I remember getting emotional at times because I was so thankful for Jeff's job and that they provided at place so beautiful for their employes to go and retreat to for a week. This year was no different. I caught myself getting emotional thinking about the blessings and thinking about the future memories we will be able to make with our family.

Kiawah is truly a family friendly place to visit. Yeah its a golfer community but it offer so much more than just golf. We've been told its CRAZY during the months of June through September so I would recommend going on one of their off months. We enjoy going in November, it's not really bathing suit weather (the kids would argue that one) but it's still nice. You can still enjoy the beach and the outdoors. Most days were in the 60's and even 70's. Because the kids are all still so young we like going the week after thanksgiving because it's like a ghost town. When places are so busy it stresses me out with the size of our family. But as the kids get older we will probably go in late October or first week of November. I would recommend Kiawah to anyone. I can truly say it's my favorite place, even over Disney World! And nothing has ever been able to take the place of DW in my eyes! We have access to two condos through Jeff's work and we will never pick Sandestin over Kiawah. I'm sure we will end up in Sandestin because of availability but it will never be our first pick!

Already looking forward to next years trip!!
AS

1 comment:

Kara Liz said...

Your children are so fortunate that they have parents that want to show them the world! Your stories make me smile and I love seeing pictures of your beautiful family! Have a Merry Christmas!!